Physical Facilities Inventory - Instructions


Budget & Asset Management is responsible for maintaining the physical facilities inventory, as well as reporting space inventory information to the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education, the administration of Oklahoma State University, and the National Science Foundation. The physical facilities inventory is critical to that end and to successful compilation and negotiation of future indirect cost rates for the university.
All space is assigned to departments by building numbers and room numbers and is classified by room use and by program. The records for assignable space are updated annually when a report is distributed to each department listing assigned space by building number and name and by room number. For each room, the report lists the room's square footage, the presently assigned room use and program codes and, if applicable, proration and capacity information.
A list of buildings, sorted both alphabetically and numerically can be found on Geospatial Systems' website by clicking here. The list of Program Codes and Room Use Codes, as well as detailed descriptions of the Room Use and Program Codes used in the physical facilities inventory are posted on Budget & Asset Management's Space Management page. Floor plans for buildings that have been remeasured, redrawn, and linked in Archibus are also available on the web at

Verification Schedule

Budget and Asset Management must comply with federal and state guidelines in the maintenance of the physical facilities inventory. A physical facilities inventory is sent to each department annually to be reviewed. A representative from this office verifies a department’s assigned space and room use, on a biennial basis, by walking through the area with a departmental representative.
Walk-throughs of the majority of academic departments are completed in the fall; walk-throughs of administrative areas are completed in the spring.

Field Definitions

Building Number, Building Name, and Room Number: These fields are self-explanatory. Please verify that the room numbers in the building match the room numbers on the floor plan and note any discrepancies on the physical facilities inventory and contact Geospatial Systems to correct the change.
Assignable Square Footage: Assignable Square Footage is the square footage for the entire room, whether or not the room is prorated. If you believe that the square footage shown is incorrect due to renovations, please indicate so on the inventory or in a separate note and contact Geospatial Systems to correct the changes.
Calculated Square Footage: The Calculated Square Footage is listed for two reasons: (a) for prorated rooms, it lists the square footage based on the percentage of use; and (b) it allows us to give you a more accurate total square footage for your department (plus or minus a few square feet due to rounding).
Capacity: This field is meant to apply to the following room types only. If the capacity is missing or incorrect, please correct the number:
110 Classroom
120 Special Classroom/Seminar
210 Class Laboratory
310A Faculty Office (if >1)
310B Staff Office (if >1)
311 Graduate Assistant Office (if >1)
312 Secretary Office (if >1)
350 Conference Room
410 Study Room
523 Athletic Facilities Spectator Seats
610 Assembly
680 Meeting Room
810 Patient Bedroom
910 Sleep/Study w/o Toilet/Bath
920 Sleep/Study w/ Toilet/Bath
950 Apartment
Actual Headcount: This field should be used in conjunction with "Capacity" and is only for use with Faculty (310A), Staff (310B), Secretary (312), and Graduate (311) offices. For example, if an office is set up for a capacity of six graduate students but only four graduate students are currently occupying the room, Capacity will be listed as "6" and Actual Headcount as "4".
Room Use Code: A list of valid room use codes is available here. The complete descriptions of room use codes are also available here.
Program Code: A list of valid program codes is available here. The complete descriptions of program codes are also available here.
Please note that program "&&" is used for academic office facilities (the 300 room use series). This is done so that we may automatically prorate academic office space based on funding of salaries for each academic department. Dean and other administrative offices should use the appropriate program function.
Although the room type and program codes are generally independent of each other, there are certain combinations that correlate:
  • Class Laboratories (room types 210, 215, 220, and 225) should always have an Instructional program code (011, 012, 013, 014, or 015)
  • Research/Nonclass Laboratories (room types 250 and 255) should always have a Research program code (021, 022, or 023)
  • Special/Nonclass Laboratories (room types 260 and 265) will generally have a Public Service program code (031, 032, or 033), although the category may be used for any laboratory that is not instructional and not research.
Prorating a Room: Each room is classified by home department, room use, and program type. It is possible for a given room to be assigned to more than one department and/or have more than one function. Whenever a room has more than one function (or is shared by more than one department) you will see a "P" under the column "Prorate Code" and the percentage of the room used for that function under "Prorate %." You will see only the portion of the room assigned to your department.
Stores Account: This field will be "Y" for rooms that are used in conjunction with a stores account (ledger 2). It will be "N" for all other rooms. A stores account is used to bill for services or goods. Examples include: a chemistry lab supply room from which supplies are sold to students; an electron microscope room in which time is paid for by different departments; and a room used for duplicating services to several departments. This field is very important in recouping indirect costs from the federal government. It is the easiest way for us to ensure that we are not charging the federal government twice for research expenses.
Lab/Room Condition Code and Deficiency: These two fields were added to assist in preparing the response to the National Science Foundation's survey of research space. In addition, we requested input from department heads with research space in using a similar coding system for ALL rooms and not just laboratory space. The majority of responses agreed these would be useful items to use as a review of the condition of departmental space. As a result, we added these two fields to the inventory. Both fields are required for laboratory space (Room Use codes 210, 220, 250, and 260) but are optional for all other rooms.
Lab Condition Code:
A - Suitable for the most scientifically competitive research in the field
B - Effective for most levels of research in the field but may need limited repair/renovation
C - Requires major renovation* to be used effectively
D - Requires replacement
*Major renovation refers to an extensive repair project that results in facilities that are equivalent, or nearly equivalent, to new facilities in their ability to support research.
If you wish to keep track of the condition of rooms (other than labs), the following coding structure may be used in the same field:
Room Condition Code:
A - Suitable for the intended purpose
B - Effective for the intended purpose but may need limited repair/renovation
C - Requires major renovation* to be used effectively
D - Requires replacement
*Major renovation refers to extensive repair project that results in facilities that are equivalent, or nearly equivalent, to new facilities.
Room Deficiency: Provide a brief description of deficiency(ies) (e.g., “ceiling leaks,” “poor air circulation,” “lacks floor drains,” “lacks proper chemical storage,” etc).
Occupant/PI: These fields should be used for all offices (310 series, 311, and 312) and all nonclass labs (250 and 260). Please list the name(s) of the person(s) occupying the office (including Graduate Assistant Offices) or the principal investigator(s) of the lab. Four fields are provided for multiple occupancy rooms. If the room has more than four occupants, please list everyone. If the room's occupants are undergraduate student assistants or graduate students not on appointment, please note the name as “# Students” (with # being the actual number of these students in the room).
Lab Data: This set of fields will provide statistics about the availability of certain features of a lab. This field is True (T) for the following features:
  • Benches
  • Water
  • Gas Hookups
  • Fume Hood
  • Special Instrumentation
If a room contains any of these features but is not currently listed as a lab, please go ahead and identify the features available in the room.
Department Description: This field is optional. Short descriptions of the room are written in this field. For example, most of the 315A Office Service rooms now indicate what is stored in that room or how it is being used (a workroom with copier, fax, etc). If a room had a specific name or purpose, that name or purpose can be written in this field.

Additional Comments

Ownership: If a room no longer belongs to your department, please cross it out and indicate (if known) the department that is now using the room. If your department has rooms that are not listed on your inventory, please add them at the end of your inventory in the spaces provided or on a separate spreadsheet.
If a room is currently assigned to your department but you have temporarily "loaned" that room to another department, please list the department currently using the room. A field has been added to the database to indicate that a different department is actually using the room. Because the inventories are now printed by "User" department, the "Owner" departments will receive a separate list of their rooms being "used" by another department.
Inactive Space: Any space (lab, special purpose, office, etc.) that is not being used in any manner during the fiscal year should be coded as Room Use 051 (Inactive-Assigned) and Program 081 (Capable of Use) or Room Use 061 (Alteration/Conversion-Assigned) and Program 082 (Incapable of Use). If an office is vacant at the time of the inventory or walk-through but the position is expected to be filled during the current fiscal year, that office can be coded appropriately (Faculty Office, Staff Office, etc.); however, the first "Occupant" field will be listed as "Vacant."
Emeriti Offices and Non-University Units Occupying University Owned Facilities: If the occupant(s) of an Emeriti office do not currently hold a university appointment, then the room is considered a courtesy office. The courtesy Emeriti office should be listed as Program Code 101 (Independent Operations/ Institutional). If the Emerti have a current appointment with the university (even if it is only 0.10 FTE), the office should be coded as normal (usually &&). If non-university agencies occupy space that is currently assigned to your area, please indicate the official name of the agency on the update line for those rooms. These non-university rooms should be listed as Program Code 103 (Independent Operations/Outside Agencies).

Clarification of Definitions of Room Use Codes

Graduate Assistant Office (311): A room (or area) should be classified as a Graduate Assistant Office only if that space is actually assigned to a graduate student and used as an Office (see definition of Office in Room Use description).
  • If an area is used intermittently as a place where graduate students can go to study or tutor and is not officially assigned as an “Office,” that space should be assigned as 410 Study Room (and usually Program Code 11–General Academic Instruction).
  • If an area within a 250–Research/Nonclass Lab is officially assigned to a specific graduate student as an “Office,” then a proportion of the Lab should be prorated as 311–Graduate Assistant Office. The area of the Lab assigned as an office should be measured to get actual square footage. For example, if the area assigned to a graduate student is 10x10 (100 square feet) and the total square footage of the lab is 890, then the room would be prorated as 11% Grad Asst Office and 89% Research/Nonclass Lab.
  • If an area within a 250–Research/Nonclass Lab is set aside as a desk area that people working in the lab can use as a desk to study the experimental design or to record or analyze lab results but is NOT actually assigned as an “Office,” this area can be considered part of the Research Lab and does not need to be assigned separately.
Open Lab (220) (Program Codes 011-014): An Open Lab is used primarily for individual or group instruction that is informally scheduled, unscheduled, or open. Access is restricted to a specific group of students: music practice rooms, language labs, rooms for individualized instruction, or special labs if discipline restricted—for example, a computer lab with only engineering or CAD software or a computer-based writing lab available only to English Composition students.
Research/Nonclass Lab (250): A Research/Nonclass Lab is designed or equipped for faculty, staff, and students to conduct research and controlled or structured creative activities.
Use Program Code 022 (Organized Research) if the research conducted in the lab is
  • Sponsored Research: all research and development activities that are sponsored by federal and nonfederal agencies and organizations. This term includes activities involving the training of individuals in research techniques (commonly called research training) where such activities are not included in the instruction function. Research training refers to a research training grant funded by an external sponsor (generally the National Science Foundation) and is considered Sponsored Research (022).
  • University Research: all research and development activities that are both separately budgeted and accounted for by the University under an internal application of institutional funds. In order for an internally-funded research activity to be classified as “University Research,” the project must include all of the following: (a) segregated research scope, (b) a technical proposal, (c) a budget proposal, (d) a peer review process, (e) awarding of the funds, and (f) submission of a technical report or an exit interview with the dean or department head.
  • Cost sharing for an externally-funded research project is also classified as University Research. Cost sharing is the financial support contributed by the university to sponsored projects. Cost sharing can include employee effort as measured by salaries/wages. Space used for cost-shared research effort should be coded as organized research.
  • Use Program Code 023 (Departmental Research) if the research is internally funded but does not meet the criteria for “University Research”: research incentive grants, faculty start-up funds, or research undertaken without any separate funding.
If the work being performed in the Nonclass Lab is supported by BOTH Organized Research and Departmental Research funds, the Lab should be prorated between the two based on the documented use of the room. Documentation includes room assignments, use logs, grant award notices, employee assignments (faculty, technician, graduate students), or personal interviews.